My 2013 List of Books Read

OK, time for a quick summary of the books I've read in the 2013. I track them as the year progresses on the sidebar of this blog, then post them here before clearing the lsits out as the new year begins. The list's not huge, I'm a slow reader, but I also had a couple of big books I've dug through on by TBR list. I did begin some books but not finish, because they didn't hold my interest in one way or another.

Read a few fiction novels, then leaned more toward non-fiction in the second half of the year. My absolute favorite, hands-down, was Stephen King's 11/22/63. Big book, but riveting from beginning to end. Swallowing a Donkey's Eye by Paul Tremblay was surreal and original and a heckof a lot of fun. We had The Shack by Wm. Paul Young on the shelf for some time before I picked it up and it captivated me with such an original view of God. Another long book which I could not put down was Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafón, a must for any book lover I think. Life Rage by my friend L.L.Soares is a clever horror novel (though heavy on violent eroticism so definitely not for everyone), which also took home the Bram Stoker for First Novel. I enjoyed another friend's short story collection, Secret Things, by Stacey Longo just before year's end. I found The Blackwater Lightship by Colm Toibin at the library book sale and knowing nothing about it, was very pleasantly surprised.


Last Christmas I got Avengers vs. X-Men, a hardcover set of the comic series, by Brian Michael Bendis, et al and enjoyed it. Didn't read too many other comics last year.

Like I said, msot of the latter half of 2013 was buried in some non-fiction. Organizing for the Creative Person: Right-Brain Styles for Conquering Clutter, Mastering Time, and Reaching Your Goals by Dorothy Lehmkuhl and Dolores Cotter Lamping was a book on organizing techniques for us right-brainers which I'd read 20 years ago and found it extremely insightful on this second read. Found Mitch Albom's Tuesdays With Morrie on my daughter's bookshelf and devoured it. Very inspiring and touching.Who Switched Off My Brain? by Dr. Caroline Leaf was a treatise on how the brain works and how we can control our thoughts, but to be honest it spent most of the time on how the brain works and not enough on the other aspect. Still, it was interesting. My wife also asked me to read For Women Only, What You need to Know About the Inner Lives of Men, by Shaunti Feldman, to see how much on-target she was. She was. A MUST READ for any couples. Million Dollar Outlines by David Farland was an ebook on writing, which was tremendous, and never got bogged down with too much repetition. Tons of stuff in there. Finally, Body by God: The Owner's Manual for Maximized Living by Ben Lerner was part nutrition, part exercise, part lifestyle and part spiritual. Some great insights in this ebook.


Comments

Popular Posts