Charging Towards THE END, again!



So, yes, I typed THE END on the first draft of my latest horror novel, appropriately enough, a couple of weeks back on Halloween. Then November came along and I had two choices: begin editing Lost in the Woods (or The Woods, or The Thinning, whatever I end up with as a title) in earnest, or… I went with or…

Over the past couple of years, I’d been working on two novels concurrently: the above title, and Plague of Locusts. Where Woods is a fairly straight horror novel, and as such will be authored by my dark half, G Daniel Gunn, Plague of Locusts falls in line with my other biblical-themed suspense novels, written under my actual name. There’s a difference in this particular story though: it science fiction. I've been a sci-fi fan since I was a kid, and a few years back decided to give it a go, myself. After finishing an early version of Plague of Darkness, the idea for Plague of Locusts was spawned by a one-paragraph blurb I’d written (and subsequently forgotten about) in a notebook during a very boring meeting at work. The scene I’d written became the opening scene of Locusts….

So, anyway, I finished Woods the other day and knew that I had only 30,000 words or so left to write in the first draft of Locusts. After some prayerful debating, I decided that in honor of NaNoWriMo this month, I’d put the horror novel aside to ferment for a few weeks before jumping back in to edit, and finish the first draft of Locusts. So far I have written around 7K words, picking up where I left off last winter. I really like this novel – a lot of characters who feel fleshed out. It’s fun to write about them. This could end up being a series, as sci-fi novels sometimes end up doing, but who knows. It’s definitely open to it. Wish me luck. I may not write 50,000 new words for NaNoWriMo, but I’m aiming to at least finish the first draft of a second novel in only a month!

Comments

Popular Posts