The Best Movie You (Might Not Have) Seen


So, at last, after hearing from so many people, "I can't believe you, of all people, haven't seen this movie," I finally watched DONNIE DARKO (2001). I got the movie for Christmas, and it's been sitting there, waiting for me to sit down and watch it. I kept thinking it was a slasher movie or something, and really didn't want to see a slasher movie, but because everyone kept saying I'd like it, including my son, I finally watched. It's not a slasher movie - chalk that up to really bad marketing years back when it came out. DONNIE DARKO is by far one of the best dark, strange, and brilliant films I've watched in a long, long time. And I don't use the word "brilliant" for movies lightly. Yes, yes, I'm pretty easy to please, but in this case - wow. Now, it might not be for everyone, it's a little surreal, definitely creepy, but the cast, especially (but not limited to) Jake Gyllenhaal as Donnie, is so strong, the writing and, hell, everything down to the music, so cool. Now, I strongly recommend getting the Director's Cut - it's 20 minutes longer but I can't imagine a minute of it being cut, and supposedly the special effects were ramped up - so if you end up missing the stunning visuals towards the end, then you're missing out. Won't get into the plot much, do enough of that with my Cinema Knife Fight reviews, but I will suggest that to understand it, read carefully the pages of the book he finds (you'll know what I mean when you watch it), even pause the DVD enough to do this. They might make no sense, but it'll get your head ready for the ending. Anyway, a 5 out of 5 stars in the Dan movie book, if you like slightly left-of-center films, which of course I do. :-)

Comments

Popular Posts